We’ve put together some of the most common questions concerning GiftAid. We hope this helps, but if you do have any further questions, please call our supporter care team on 0207 9018 912 or email [email protected], or visit the government page: www.gov.uk/donating-to-charity/gift-aid.

What is GiftAid?

Gift Aid is a government scheme that allows charities to reclaim the tax that you have already paid on your donations through income tax or capital gains tax. All donations (excluding those made through the Charities Aid Foundation and payroll giving), made in the last four years are eligible for the scheme – including regular gifts such as standing orders and direct debits. That means that for every £1 you give, we will be able to receive £1.25 at no extra cost to you.

How do I know if I am a UK taxpayer?

You are a UK taxpayer if:

  • Tax is taken from your wages or pension before you receive them
  • You have to fill in a self-assessment form
  • You have any taxable savings (in a Building Society, for instance), or a pension plan, or investment income you have recently paid any capital gains tax, or expect to pay it in the near future. This could be on the sale of a property or some shares, for example.

I am a pensioner, do my gifts qualify?

You may still be paying tax on a private pension plan or a savings account, or pay Capital Gains Tax if you sell property or shares. You are still eligible if you have paid enough tax during the year to cover your donations (i.e. 25% of the value of your gifts).

Can I make a GiftAid declaration for multiple charities?

You can support as many UK charities as you like through Gift Aid. All you need to do is to return a declaration to each charity that you support and ensure that you are paying enough tax during the year to cover 25% of your total annual donations.

What if my situation changes and I am no longer eligible?

You can contact us at any time to withdraw or change your GiftAid declaration. Just call supporter care on 0207 9018 912 or email [email protected]

What does not qualify for GiftAid?

All individual donations are eligible for Gift Aid other than those given through CAF and payroll giving. Donations and collections from a group (e.g. Office, department, community group) are not eligible for Gift Aid unless we receive individual envelopes or a collection form listing each member; their addresses, full postcode, amount given and confirmation that we can claim Gift Aid against their donation.

What if I pay tax at a higher rate?

We can only claim back tax at the basic rate, but that is still worth 25% extra on your donations to us, so please provide us with a declaration anyway. If you pay a higher rate tax, you can claim the difference between the higher rate of tax and the basic rate of tax on the total value of your donations. You can make this claim on your Self Assessment tax return if you were sent one. We would suggest speaking to your accountant if you would like to do this.

Skip to content